Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Goderich tornado and insurance: What consumers need to know

photo credit: Bun T Pein Photography via Flickr

TORONTO, August 22, 2011 /Canada NewsWire/ - After a violent storm and tornado hit Goderich, Ontario yesterday, Insurance Bureau of Canada (IBC) is informing consumers about what they need to know if their property was affected.

"First and foremost, those affected should ensure they and their families are safe," said Ralph Palumbo, Vice-President, Ontario, IBC.

Palumbo added: "The property damage to homes and personal property, businesses and public buildings is extensive. Ontario's home, car and business insurers will be there to help residents and businesses recover from this disaster."

IBC reminds consumers:

...Most home and business insurance policies will cover damage caused by wind, including broken windows and removal of debris.

...Auto policies cover wind damage if comprehensive coverage has been purchased.

...Marine insurance policies will usually cover damage to boats from wind.

...Homeowner's and tenant's policies usually provide coverage for additional living expenses if a home is uninhabitable.

Consumers should contact their insurance representative as soon as possible to discuss coverage and deductibles and to report damage claims. To facilitate claims processing, homeowners should document all property losses. And, if safe to do so, they should protect their property from further damage.

To help affected residents and businesses with insurance-related questions, IBC is deploying its Community Assistance Mobile Pavilion (CAMP) to Goderich. IBC representatives will be available to speak with consumers and media today at the Knights of Columbus Community Hall, 390 Parsons Court.

CAMP is one of a number of initiatives by Canada's home, car and business insurers to help Canadians prepare for, and cope with, disasters. The national program provides disaster victims with on-site, quick-response, insurance-related information.

In addition, IBC representatives attending the 2011 Association of Municipalities of Ontario (AMO) Annual Conference will be available to speak with media about the situation in Goderich at the London Convention Centre (Salon A), 300 York Street, London, at 1:15 p.m. today.

Affected residents can also call IBC's Consumer Information Centre in Ontario at 1-800-387-2880 (Monday to Friday, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.) for answers to insurance-related questions.

About Insurance Bureau of Canada

Insurance Bureau of Canada is the national industry association representing Canada's private home, car and business insurers. Its member companies represent 90% of the property and casualty (P&C) insurance market in Canada. The P&C insurance industry employs over 114,000 Canadians, pays more than $7 billion in taxes to the federal, provincial and municipal governments, and has a total premium base of $40 billion.

To view media releases and information, visit the media section of IBC's website at

"A compendium of Canadian non-urban resources and websites since 1998"

More people every day are moving to the country for the best lifestyle of both worlds.

We think that you will find this the most comprehensive Canadian country lifestyle website on the Internet and with over 9,500 websites to visit inside you will find resources for just about all the various facets of non-urban life...

Visit our Rural Living Canada website today...

Email: rurallivingcanada@gmail.com

Rural Living Canada Daily

Twitter Feed

My Blog List

Blog Archive